International Day of the Girl Child
(from Because I am a Girl)
Did you know?
- 70% of the one billion people living in extreme poverty are women and girls.
- Girls are 3x more likely to be malnourished than boys.
- In the poorest countries of the world, 50% of girls do not attend secondary school.
- Girls and women in the world's poorest countries are the most vulnerable members of society, denied the same rights and opportunities as their brothers.
The power of girls
"And yet research is also clear that when girls reach their full potential, through improved status, better health care, and education, it is the most effective development tool for society as a whole. As a country's primary enrolment rate for girls increases, so too does its gross domestic product per capita."
- Kofi Annan, former UN Secretary General
Research topics related to current stories related to the treatment of girls:
International Day of the Girl
GNews Search - Last Week
GSearch site:www.cbc.ca podcast amanda todd
GNews Search - Last Month